Chlorella (Chlorella vulgaris) is a blue-green algae, regarded as one of the world's most complete foods. It is best-known as a popular basis to detoxification programmes. However, it is increasingly regarded as a useful general dietary supplement that provides broad support for a healthy diet.
Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) is a strain of spiral blue-green algae that contains a wide range of nutrients and flourishes in subtropical and tropical waters. Spirulina occurs naturally in South America, where it was harvested from high-altitude lakes by the Aztecs. There is a tradition of harvesting Spirulina in central Africa, and it remains a staple food in several Asian cuisines.
Some notable components of Chlorella and Spirulina are Chlorophyll, Chlorella Growth Factor and Phycocyanin. Chlorella contains Vitamins A, B12 and D and minerals which include Iodine, Iron, Manganese and Phosphorous. Spirulina contains Vitamins A, B3, B12, and E and minerals which include Chromium, Iodine, Iron, Manganese and Phosphorous. One dilemma faced by people considering adding Chlorella or Spirulina to their diets is which product to choose. To solve this, we have combined them equally in one capsule.
Rainforest Foods Chlorella and Spirulina are produced organically on an island in the South China Sea using photosynthesis, the natural process by which plants absorb energy from sunlight. Batches of algae grow, multiplying naturally and rapidly in pools of pure water. They are harvested when they reach the required density. Once harvested, the Spirulina is dried and milled to powder. A Chlorella cell has a tough outer wall. While the cell wall is an aid to detoxification as it binds toxins to it as we digest the Chlorella, it also creates a barrier which reduces the amount of nutrients available from within the cell. Our Chlorella is a type known as 'broken cell wall Chlorella'. After harvesting, the Chlorella cell walls are broken by a high-impact jet spray process before the Chlorella is dried and milled to powder. The cell wall-breaking process does not damage the contents, but does make them more available for absorption.
The powder is encapsulated in the UK by a leading GMP (Good Marketing Practice)-registered pharmaceutical manufacturer. Rainforest Foods capsule shells are made from HPMC, a plant-based cellulose material, approved for vegetarian and vegan use by the Vegetarian Society, and Halal and Kosher-certified. The capsules are 100% pure, using no fillers, binders or bulking agents. Each capsule contains nothing but 200mg of organic Chlorella powder and 200mg of organic Spirulina powder.
- Each capsule contains 200mg of organic broken cell-wall Chlorella powder (Chlorella vulgaris) and 200mg of organic Spirulina powder (Arthrospira platensis).
- Broken-cell wall chlorella allowing for greater nutrient absorption and premium quality Arthrospira platensis Spirulina.
- High in Vitamin A, B12, D and Iron, and a source of Phycocyanin and Chlorophyll.
- Capsules are vegetarian-friendly and 100% pure, containing only organic broken-cell wall Chlorella powder and organic Spirulina powder.
- Certified organic by the Soil Association.
- Certified Vegan by the Vegan Society.
- Rainforest Foods will donate funds to Rainforest Concern for every pack sold.